Friday, January 8, 2010

Cannonball Read 2 #17: Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

While I await with baited breath the arrival of my new Sookie books, I got hold of a book from another of Charlaine Harris's series, this time Grave Sight from her Harper Connolly mysteries.

Harper Connolly, like Sookie Stackhouse, has a dubious gift: after being struck by lightning as a teenager, she has the ability to sense dead bodies and see what killed them. She's found a way to use this talent to make a living, travelling the country with her step-brother Tolliver, locating bodies for both law enforcement and private citizens. The trouble in this story begins when she and Tolliver arrive in the small town of Sarne, tasked with locating the body of a wild young girl thought to have been killed by her boyfriend. Harper finds the body, but doing so sets in motion a deadly series of events in Sarne. It seems like everyone in town is involved somehow, and Harper and Tolliver will be lucky to get out of town alive.

I liked the character of Harper, though I think she will likely become better developed as the series goes on--I felt like there was a lot of exposition to this book, a lot of setting up a life that will be explored later on. The mystery was relatively good, though I figured it out about 50 pages before the end. I'll definitely read more of Charlaine Harris's work, since everything I've read so far--while not particularly edifying--has been highly entertaining.

No comments:

CBR14 #1 - Revenge Body by Rachel Wiley

Cannonball Read #14. Hope springs eternal, I guess.  I have to say that Rachel Wiley is probably my favorite living poet. I've been a fa...