Skip to main content

Halloween Interlude

So I am taking a short break from the Cannonball Read--this year's contest is over, the new round starting November 1st. I managed to get 55 books in since last December, which is pretty impressive. The new Cannonball Read goal is 52 books in a year, which I am quite sure I can manage. I've really enjoyed all the reading I've done this year, and I think the blogging has been beneficial as well. In the "things to look forward to for the next round" column, I am pleased that there will be new participants, including a much-appreciated fan of this blog, Doc Spender. I'm always interested to know what others are reading.

Right now, I am focused on the search for a Halloween costume. The Boyfriend and I have been invited to a party by one of our friends, and I am desperately trying to figure out what to be. It's a lot harder than it used to be, to say the least. Back in the day (when I was thinner and single) all I had to do was stick the adjective "sexy" in front of something and there we go. "Sexy vampire" or "sexy hooker" or even "sexy secretary." Now it's a little more complicated and I am a little pickier.

Optimum Halloween Costume is:

1. Comfortable. No hopping around with my feet bound together, or in a corset where I can't breathe or a skirt so short I can't sit. Also, considering the New England weather, layers would be nice. Last year's zombie soldier idea was great--cargo pants, cammo t-shirt, military sweater, and boots kept me snug and warm for all trips out-of-doors.

2. Interesting. I hate lame cop-out costumes along the Wednesday Addams "Homicidal maniacs look just like everyone else" vein. Also, I'm not a fan of punny costumes. Not to mention that this party is going to be full of creative artsy types, and I have to keep up.

3. Funny, Scary, or Witty. Ideally, I'd love to be some pop culture figure from movies, TV, or books. Something that maybe not everyone will get right off, but that the kind of people I like will either recognize or be delighted by.

4. Not ridiculously expensive or difficult to create. I am neither rich nor particularly craft-inclined. I can throw some things together, I'm all right with improvisation, and I'm decent at doing costume make-up.

The Boyfriend is going as Walter Sobcek from The Big Lebowski (an eerily accurate costume for him, looks-wise) and I think The Roommate is going as Robin Sparkles (HIMYM reference). I have been thinking over this problem for weeks, and have discarded several ideas for various reasons.

1. Bea Arthur: The costume would probably qualify for comfortable, but it's not easy buying a pastel caftan-type outfit these days. Plus, I doubt anyone would get it.

2. Character from True Blood: I love the show, but first of all, there will probably be a TON of True Blood vamps out there this year. Secondly, the female characters on the show are really not that distinctive. Sookie, when you get right down to it, is a blond in a sundress. I am not really built for sundresses, even if they WERE weather-appropriate. (I do look forward to seeing how many guys think they can pull off the Eric Northman. The results will likely either be hot or totally hilariously inaccurate.)

3. Generic 80s girl: This was a good idea until The Roommate decided on Robin Sparkles. We can't BOTH be 80s girls.

4. Maude Lebowski: The major pro for this would be that The Boyfriend and I would be thematically linked. Unfortunately, Maude's two major looks are either the dream-sequence bowling viking warrior (costume is much too complicated for someone with as little crafting talent as I have I think) or the naked-with-bathrobe, which is obviously unacceptable.

5. Super Villainess: Turns out there don't seem to be any super villianesses who don't wear spandex (which I am uniquely unqualified to wear). Someone suggested Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Brothers, but aside from the difficulty of finding a pink knit set and pillbox hat, it's likely everyone will think I'm some kind of weird butch Jackie O.

6. Daria: This would be comparatively easy, the only problem being that I'm pretty sure this has passed cultural relevancy, much like being Angela Chase or TLC.

So anyone who comes up with a good, clever, interesting, fun costume for a girl who is not interested in attracting new boys, not afraid to look a bit silly or scary, likes to be comfy, and is built like a Sherman tank with feet will get a prize.

Things I like: crime shows, Stephen King books, True Blood, Futurama, most pop music from the 80s and 90s, John Hughes movies, Jhonen Vasquez comics, Deadwood, Shakespeare, the Titanic (history of the ship, not that stupid movie), Muppets, Anthony Bourdain, the Civil War, Boston sports teams, the Sex Pistols, and cartoons.

Comments

Spender said…
"Things I like: crime shows, Stephen King books, True Blood, Futurama, most pop music from the 80s and 90s, John Hughes movies, Jhonen Vasquez comics, Deadwood, Shakespeare, the Titanic (history of the ship, not that stupid movie), Muppets, Anthony Bourdain, the Civil War, Boston sports teams, the Sex Pistols, and cartoons."

I have no costume ideas from the top of my head but I must say that based on the above list, you and I must marry. I'm sure that Mrs. Spender and your beau will get along just fine!
And thank you VERY much for the shout-out and compliment. The feeling is mutual and you've made my day.

Popular posts from this blog

CR3 # 17: Mount Misery by Samuel Shem

Mount Misery is the sequel to Samuel Shem's first book, House of God (review here). It follows Dr. Roy Basch as he leaves the House of God and moves to psychiatric hospital Mount Misery to begin his psychiatric residency. Unfortunately, it turns out that psychiatrists are just as crazy, confused, and often detrimental as medical doctors. As Dr. Basch cycles through the various sectors of the hospital (talk therapy, admissions, Freudian Analysis, drug therapy) he is horrified to discover that it seems everything he is being taught is not only wrong, but potentially dangerous. He begins to fall into terrible patterns of behavior, mirroring the problems his patients are having. Each area is worse than the last, with one doctor who thinks the best way to treat is to be aggressively hostile, one who cares only about insurance premiums and efficiency, one who treats with silence and "regression," and one who thinks the only viable treatment is to pump every patient full of exp…

CBR9 #2 - Southern Gods

I've had Southern Gods on my TBR list for so long I no longer remember why I put it there. Was it a recommendation from Amazon? From Goodreads? Did someone I know recommend it? Did it cross my path as a "If you liked __________ then you'll like this too!"

Maybe I heard it through the grapevine?

I only know that recently, I happened to come across it on my wishlist and decided to go ahead and splurge on it.

I'm glad I did.

In 1951 Memphis, war veteran and leg-breaker-for-hire Bull Ingraham gets a new assignment: a record company has lost one of their employees somewhere. Early Freeman set off to deliver new records to radio stations, and has seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth. His boss at Helios Records is anxious to find him...and also anxious to find a mysterious blues musician whose music can do terrible things to the living -- and to the dead.

Meanwhile, in Arkansas, Sarah Rheinhart leaves her abusive husband and returns to her family home, where …

CBR9 #5 Borgin Keep by Ron Ripley

I've read the entire Berkeley Street series, as well as the Haunted series, and I think this was definitely one of the better offerings. This time, former Marine Shane and his slowly growing band of willing (and unwilling) ghost hunting allies face their biggest challenge yet. While the ghosts of Borgin Keep are both very dangerous and very evil, Shane also must keep one step ahead of The Watchers, a ruthless and powerful organization who find him to be a threat to their shadowy goals.

As always, for me the best part are the characters. Shane and his ghost-hunting partner Frank (a former soldier/former monk) are joined once again by police detective Marie LaFontaine, who is a very tough woman determined to avenge a dead friend. I'm not as fond of Shane's girlfriend Courtney, but I understand her uses as far as character development.

The plot moves along quickly, and I found this book a little better fleshed out than a few of the previous ones in the series -- while I enjoye…