Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cannonball Read #6: A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints by Dito Montiel

I happened across the film based on this book (also written and directed by Dito Montiel) on OnDemand last month, and decided to stop and watch it because Robert Downey Jr. is so awesome and Channing Tatum is not especially talented, but very VERY pretty. I was fairly pleased with the movie, though it is nothing particularly new or innovative--it is the story of young Dito Montiel (played by a surprisingly talented Shia LaBouf) growing up in a tough neighborhood in New York, and also the story of adult Dito (RDJ) returning many years after fleeing the violence and dead-end fates that he and his friends were destined for if they stayed.

Since I enjoyed the film, I decided to track down the book, since it is supposedly a memoir. The book deals less with Dito's youth and more with his adult life: touring the country with his momentarily famous band, meeting people like Allen Ginsberg, a brief stint as a Calvin Klein model, and generally dealing with the trials of trying to become a functional adult.

The book is very reminiscent of On the Road, which makes sense, since it seems Montiel has been heavily influenced by the beats. There is no real story structure, just a sort of rambling collection of stories, anecdotes, photos, poems, and steam-of-consciousness rants woven together around the vague theme of "saints." Although there was no plot to speak of, I found the characters to be distinct, well-drawn, and interesting. And I also enjoyed the specificity and detail of Montiel's memories.

On the whole, while no work of literary genius, this is an easy and interesting read.

No comments:

CBR14 #1 - Revenge Body by Rachel Wiley

Cannonball Read #14. Hope springs eternal, I guess.  I have to say that Rachel Wiley is probably my favorite living poet. I've been a fa...