Skip to main content

Cannonball Read #7: Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

I am an unabashed thriller/horror novel geek. I am not ashamed to admit that Stephen King is my favorite author and that my favorite book in the world is IT. I like a good scary story with some creepiness and some tension and a little gore in it. When I heard that King's son Joe was also a writer, and had been winning some very serious awards for his writing, I figured I might as well check him out.

Heart-Shaped Box is the story of Judas Coyne, a washed-up heavy metal star, who has an obsession for the occult and macabre. One day, an offer comes in online of a ghost for sale. Jude can't resist, and a short while later he receives his purchase...and it isn't at all what he expected. Turns out the ghost has his own agenda, and Jude is not going to like it much. Jude, and his girlfriend Georgia (so called because that's where she's from, and that's how Jude labels his girlfriends) have to work together to figure out what the ghost wants and how to stop him before it's too late.

I found the characters very well-drawn (although I kept forgetting Jude was supposed to be in his mid-fifties and kept picturing him as looking like Rob Zombie) and engaging. Despite being someone who may not sound that sympathetic a character at first blush, I really liked Jude--he's a man who has made a lot of mistakes, but isn't afraid to own up to them. He knows who he is and isn't ashamed of it. Georgia is also great--she starts out as sort of a stereotypical groupie, but as the story goes on she shows her strength and determination. They are both characters that you want to root for.

The plot moves along quickly and doesn't drag, but it also doesn't fly along so quickly that there's no time for atmosphere or metaphors or literary gymnastics. The suspense is good, and your expectations are definitely turned upside down several times by the twists the story takes. It's a little gory and rather scary (though not "lying-in-bed-terrified-by-every-noise-and-dreading-the-nightmares scary) and has its funny moments, too. I will admit that I tore through this book faster than anything I've read for the Cannonball read thus far (unlike Manhunt and Gangs of New York [which I haven't even blogged about because it's such a drag] which were a constant battle to stay awake through.) Hill's work (as much as I'm sure this is something he's been desperately trying to avoid) reminds me a lot of his father's early work, back when Stephen King was really good and had editors who would tell him no once in a while.

It's a tight story and a fun read. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys spooky reads.

Comments

Mike said…
I had heard some negative things about this one, but it was interesting to read your perspective. I might give it a try. I really loved Hill's collection of short stories, 20th Century Ghosts.
What you have to know about me is I'm really not the best literary critic because I'm not terribly...critical. My level of "suspension of disbelief" is very high, so things that might bother someone else I will just accept as part of the story-world. Still, I thought this book--though not likely to make any "Best of the Century" lists--was fun and entertaining.

Popular posts from this blog

CR3 # 17: Mount Misery by Samuel Shem

Mount Misery is the sequel to Samuel Shem's first book, House of God (review here). It follows Dr. Roy Basch as he leaves the House of God and moves to psychiatric hospital Mount Misery to begin his psychiatric residency. Unfortunately, it turns out that psychiatrists are just as crazy, confused, and often detrimental as medical doctors. As Dr. Basch cycles through the various sectors of the hospital (talk therapy, admissions, Freudian Analysis, drug therapy) he is horrified to discover that it seems everything he is being taught is not only wrong, but potentially dangerous. He begins to fall into terrible patterns of behavior, mirroring the problems his patients are having. Each area is worse than the last, with one doctor who thinks the best way to treat is to be aggressively hostile, one who cares only about insurance premiums and efficiency, one who treats with silence and "regression," and one who thinks the only viable treatment is to pump every patient full of exp…

CBR9 #2 - Southern Gods

I've had Southern Gods on my TBR list for so long I no longer remember why I put it there. Was it a recommendation from Amazon? From Goodreads? Did someone I know recommend it? Did it cross my path as a "If you liked __________ then you'll like this too!"

Maybe I heard it through the grapevine?

I only know that recently, I happened to come across it on my wishlist and decided to go ahead and splurge on it.

I'm glad I did.

In 1951 Memphis, war veteran and leg-breaker-for-hire Bull Ingraham gets a new assignment: a record company has lost one of their employees somewhere. Early Freeman set off to deliver new records to radio stations, and has seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth. His boss at Helios Records is anxious to find him...and also anxious to find a mysterious blues musician whose music can do terrible things to the living -- and to the dead.

Meanwhile, in Arkansas, Sarah Rheinhart leaves her abusive husband and returns to her family home, where …

CBR9 #5 Borgin Keep by Ron Ripley

I've read the entire Berkeley Street series, as well as the Haunted series, and I think this was definitely one of the better offerings. This time, former Marine Shane and his slowly growing band of willing (and unwilling) ghost hunting allies face their biggest challenge yet. While the ghosts of Borgin Keep are both very dangerous and very evil, Shane also must keep one step ahead of The Watchers, a ruthless and powerful organization who find him to be a threat to their shadowy goals.

As always, for me the best part are the characters. Shane and his ghost-hunting partner Frank (a former soldier/former monk) are joined once again by police detective Marie LaFontaine, who is a very tough woman determined to avenge a dead friend. I'm not as fond of Shane's girlfriend Courtney, but I understand her uses as far as character development.

The plot moves along quickly, and I found this book a little better fleshed out than a few of the previous ones in the series -- while I enjoye…