Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cannonball Read #30: The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara

The Last Full Measure is the third in the Shaaras trilogy of the American Civil War (Killer Angels written by father Michael Shaara about the battle of Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, Jeff Shaara's book on the beginning of the war) and it details the years following the battle of Gettysburg. The story is told mostly through the eyes of Robert E. Lee, Joshua Laurence Chamberlain, and brings in Ulysses S. Grant, though there are chapters from the perspective of other figures as well.

The book is extremely good, and Shaara tries to be balanced in his depictions of both sides--neither is "good" or "bad," they are just fighting for different things. I enjoy the fact that Shaara makes sure to include maps so the reader can follow the battle lines that are being described. I found that it made the battles much easier to visualize. The writing is wonderful and I felt that each character had his own distinct voice.

I have enjoyed each book in this series, and am looking forward to reading Shaara's other works on the Mexican War, the American Revolution, WWI, and WWII.

No comments:

CBR14 #1 - Revenge Body by Rachel Wiley

Cannonball Read #14. Hope springs eternal, I guess.  I have to say that Rachel Wiley is probably my favorite living poet. I've been a fa...