Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cannonball Read #32: Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben

Deal Breaker is a great airport book. I know this because I read it during the trip back to MA from visiting my parents in PA. It was fast-paced and interesting enough to keep me entertained during the seemingly endless delays on the tarmac in Philadelphia, but not too taxing on the brain after an mentally-exhausting day.

The main character is Myron Bolitar, a former athlete (whose pro sports career was cut short by injury) who now makes his living as a small-time sports agent. Along with his friend and coworker the charming and sociopathic Win, Myron has to unravel the mystery of a missing girl before it swallows up a promising young client.

The book was populated with a host of quirky, interesting characters, and Myron's voice is self-deprecating and hilarious. His narration was definitely the high point of the novel, particularly when he describe what's going on. Coben's descriptions are vivid, and I think this would make an excellent movie (I would probably cast The Rock as Bolitar--he seems capable of the right kind of humor needed for the role. Despite my best efforts, the only picture I could get of Win was Corbin Berensen in Major League.) The plot wasn't perfect, but made enough sense not to be totally distracting. Also, although I thought I had the mystery figured out, the ending still surprised me (which is tough--I read/watch a LOT of mysteries.)

On the whole I enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading some of Coben's other Bolitar books. Although reading it will not make you look/feel smarter, it's great as trashy beach/plane/vacation lit.

No comments:

CBR14 #1 - Revenge Body by Rachel Wiley

Cannonball Read #14. Hope springs eternal, I guess.  I have to say that Rachel Wiley is probably my favorite living poet. I've been a fa...