Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cannonball Read 2 #26: The House of Lost Souls by F.G. Cottam

The House of Lost Souls is mostly the story of Paul Seaton, a former journalist turned neurotic wreck. Once, long ago, he went into a house--a house he shouldn't have been in and wished he'd never heard of. Something in that house nearly destroyed him, but now he has to go back. Along with Nick Mason, a tough military man, Paul has to go back to the Fischer house in order to save the souls of three young coeds, including Nick's younger sister.

The story is made up mostly of flashbacks--it is mostly Paul's story, and revolves around the concepts of obsession and satanism. That sounds like a fascinating concept for a book, except this one is...not. The scary, spooky bits are not especially frightening. For a haunted house story, the house is mentioned hardly at all. I found the characters weren't particularly well fleshed-out, and the descriptions were dull at best. Although I didn't necessarily see a few of the final twists coming, I found that by the time I got there, I just didn't care anymore.

On the whole, not a terrible book--well-written, if nothing else--but mostly a major disappointment.

No comments:

CBR14 #1 - Revenge Body by Rachel Wiley

Cannonball Read #14. Hope springs eternal, I guess.  I have to say that Rachel Wiley is probably my favorite living poet. I've been a fa...